Ponder UMC is a member of the United Methodist Church, and our doctrines and policies can be found in the most recent version of the United Methodist Book of Discipline. However, each local church has a flavor of its own. The specific beliefs of Ponder UMC are:
1. There is only one God. We know this God in Triune form. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
2. God the Son is Jesus Christ, God incarnate.
3. Jesus is the only Savior of the world. There is no access to eternal life in Heaven, except through belief in Jesus.
4. While Jesus is revealed to us in prayer, and life experiences, the primary way of knowing Christ is through the Bible.
5. The Bible is:
A) Inspired - from God. While it was written by the hands of men, it is not a man-made document. The Bible we possess today is exactly the word God desires for us to possess.
B) Inerrant - theologically the Bible is perfect. It contains everything we need to live our lives in accordance with the will of God.
C) Authoritative - the Bible is primary. When there is conflict between prayer, experience, and Scripture - Scripture prevails.
6. Jesus is not only our Savior, he is our example. We are called through sanctification to get up each day and strive to be more like Jesus. This means living a life of peace, forgiveness, and patience. It means seeking justice in ourselves, our families, and our workplaces. It means sharing the Gospel message, the good news, with those who do not know Jesus as Savior.